Today i'm going to share a gravy recipe with Thattapayir/ Cowpeas/ Black eyed peas/Lobia. This is a typical south Indian style coconut based gravy. With this legume i have added brinjal and potato to it. Cowpeas/ Thattapayir, Brinjal and Potato is a classic combination and tastes very yummy. Try this combination, you will definitely love it. This kulambu/gravy recipe can be best served with white rice or dosa.
I learnt this recipe from my MIL. You can also try this recipe with Bottle gourd instead of brinjal and potato. Thattapayir/ Cow-peas and Bottle-gourd is another combination. I used the brown cow-peas for this recipe. If not you can also try with the white ones. But we make this gravy with brown coloured cow-peas for this recipe.
Preparation time :10 Min's
Cooking Time : 20 Min's
- 1 cup Thattapayir/ Cow-peas
- 2 Brinjals, chopped
- ! large Potato, peeled and cubed
- 1 large Onion, chopped lengthwise
- 2 Tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 tbsp Ginger Garlic paste
- 1 tbsp Tamarind pulp
- 2 Green Chillies, silted
- 1 tsp Chilly powder
- 1 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1 1/2 tbsp Coriander powder
- 2 tbsp grated Coconut
- 1/2 tsp Mustard seeds
- 2 tbsp any Cooking Oil
- Salt to taste
- Coriander leaves for garnishing
- Soak the thattapayir/ cow-peas in water for 3 hours and pressure cook for 2 whistles. Or else you can cook it low medium flame for 1/2 hour / until cooked.
- Grind the grated coconut to a fine paste and keep aside.
- Heat oil in wok, when hot add mustard seeds and allow it to splutter. Add the chopped onion and green chillies saute till it becomes translucent.
- Then add chopped tomatoes and cook for 2 Min's or till becomes little soft.
- Add ginger garlic paste and all spice powders one by one and mix well, sprinkle little water in between and saute for 3 Min's.
- Add Brinjal and potato cubes to it and cover it with lid and cook for 3 Min's, between open the lid and saute so that it doesn't stick to the pan or burn.
- Then add the boiled cowpeas to it and add 1 cup of water and bring it to a boil.
- Add the ground coconut paste and tamarind pulp to it and cook it in medium flame for 5 Min's.
- Switch off the flame and garnish with coriander leaves and serve it with white rice.
Technorati Tags : Kulambu recipes, south Indian kulambu recipes, Thattapayir kulambu, thattapayir, south Indian recipes, south Indian gravy, south Indian gravy for rice, gravies for rice, Indian gravy recipes,