Tuesday, October 30, 2012

A quick and simple Vegetable Rice/Pulao ( pressure cooker method )

Some-days back we friends Lubna, Satrupa, DeepaSri and me had a potluck at my place. I simply loved all the dishes cooked by them. While we were relaxing after our heavy lunch, we started discussing about the recipe cooked by all. When Deepa was telling about the dish made by her, i was quite impressed by the ingredients of vegetable rice. She explained that she added only vegetables and few spices to the rice and did not use any masala paste or masala powders to the rice and the rice used was Basmati one. I cant wait to try this. Because it's very very easy, simple and quick to make, more than that it was absolutely yummy. When we invited my hubby's friend and his wife for lunch on one sunday, i made this Vegetable rice and Dum aloo, it was a huge hit. I was happy and thanks to Deepa for the recipe.
Vegetable Rice


Serves 2 | Preparation time: 5 Min's | Cooking Time: 15 Min's
Ingredients
  • 1 1/2 cups Finely chopped Vegetables( i used Carrot, Beans, Sweet corn and Peas )
  • 2 cups of Basmati Rice
  • 2 inch Cinnamon Sticks
  • 5 Cloves
  • 4 Cardamom
  • 1 Star Anise
  • Few Bay leaves
  • 2 tbsp of Oil
  • 2 tbsp of Ghee
  • 1/2 tbsp of Oil or ghee
  • Salt to taste

VegRice and DumAloo
Method
  1. Wash and soak the Basmatic rice in 3 cups of water for 15 Min's and keep aside.
  2. Mean while heat oil and ghee in the pressure cooker.
  3. Add all the whole spices one by one to it and fry for few seconds.
  4. Next add the finely chopped vegetables to it and fry it for few minutes, say about 2 or 3 Min's.
  5. Add the rice and water to the cooker  and mix gently.
  6. Add 1/2 tbsp of oil or ghee and required salt to it and mix gently and close the lid and pressure cook for 2 whistles and after that  keep the flame low for 5 minutes and then switch off the stove.

Notes:
  • For 1 cup of basmati ricei used 1and 1/4 cups of water.
  • Use Basmati Rice for this recipe, that gives a nice flavour and taste
  • I have added 1/2 tbsp of oil in the final step because this is to prevent the rice from sticking. 

21 comments :

Srividhya Ravikumar said...

quick rice..love it...

chef and her kitchen said...

I love this simple kind of pulav..nice pics valar

Indian Khana said...

We make pulao same way too ..looks colorful n yum

Unknown said...

Looks colourful and yum...

Unknown said...

wow what an eye catching clicks.... wonderful attempt...

Prathima Rao said...

Always wanted a pulao recipe made in a pressure cooker..In a cooker its easier & faster but I never get the same final texture as cooked in a vessel..They always end up moist in a pressure cooker..Im bookmarking your version...its simply perfect!!!
Prathima Rao
Prats Corner

Prathima Rao said...

Btw, one clarification...i think 1 cup uncooked basmati can serve 4 people..
Prathima Rao
Prats Corner

Priya Suresh said...

If i dont have time to make pulao elaborately,i'll go for this quick version too,prefectly done.

Satrupa said...

Such an easy peasy recipe and I can vouch for it's taste :) Lovely clicks Valar

lubnakarim06 said...

Looks very colorful and yum...simple recipe....I need need raita to finish it off....

sakshi_sharma said...

wow...now dis is my kond of cooking..!!

great-secret-of-life said...

Love this version my mum does it in pressure cooker all the time.. yummy and lovely clicks
great-secret-of-life.blogspot.com

Vimitha Durai said...

Quick and flavorful rice dear

divya said...

Mmmm....looks very delicious

divyagcp said...

Simple, flavorful rice.. Looks Yum!!

Unknown said...

I like to cook rice in different style..thanks for recipe.
Joint Replacement India

Chitra said...

I too make the same way. LOved the clicks, napkins in the BG is very nice :)

Aruna Manikandan said...

simple and delicious rice dear :)
pretty clicks as usual.

Sherin said...

Looks delish. New to ur site. Luv it. I make pilav this way too dear, only I use coconut milk too.

Happy to follow u

Hamaree Rasoi said...

The secret lies in the recipe itself : no masala paste or whatever just the essence of few raw spices. Your's is looking better...Thank you very much for trying it..More so in pressure cooker..the results are stunning

Anonymous said...

Well, I don't know, I use my Redmond 4502 multicooker and the recipe is fantastic! Everything is so tasty, I have never seen that recipe before, and this one is the most perfect! I try to do it again to my parents - I have to practice my multicooker!